A China Catalogue for the Import and Export of Endangered Species has been introduced by China’s Customs Administration Office to implement its commitment to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
The new Catalogue of Commodities for Import and Export of Species of Wild Flora and Fauna came into force on September 15, 2022.
The new catalogue supports the implementation of the following laws and regulations already in force in China:
- Law on the Protection of Wild Animals
- Customs Law
- Regulations on the Protection of Wild Plants
- Regulations on the Administration of the Import and Export of Endangered Wild Fauna and Flora.
Implications for companies importing or exporting commodities containing endangered species
- The first step is for companies to review China’s Catalogue of Commodities for Import and Export to determine whether your product contains an endangered species.
- Then companies need to apply for an import license
- The import license is valid for 180 days and is required for every import/export.
More about CITES
The introduction of this new catalogue shows China’s commitment to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
CITES is an agreement between governments that regulates the international trade of wildlife and wildlife products. It covers everything from live animals and plants, to food, leather goods, and trinkets. It came into force in 1975 with the goal of ensuring that international trade does not threaten the survival of wild plants and animals. Governments that are members of CITES such as the United States must abide by CITES regulations by implementing legislation within their borders to enforce those regulations. About 5,800 species of animals and 30,000 species of plants are currently protected by CITES. They’re categorized into one of three appendices, depending on how at risk from trade they are.
If you would like to apply for an import license for endangered species or you would like more information on our registration and CRO services for pharmaceuticals, medical devices, IVDs, cosmetics, health foods, and industrial or consumer goods, please contact us.