China food production licensing rules and principles have been updated in an announcement from China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) on October 21, 2022 (No.33). The General Rules for the Review of Food Production Licensing (2022 version) (the “General Rules”) took effect on November 1, 2022, superseding an earlier version released on August 9, 2016.
The General Rules apply to the review work organized by the market regulatory department on food production licenses, change licenses and renewal licenses.
- According to Article 4, the provincial level of the SAMR or above shall develop a food production licensing review plan for food varieties not covered in the classification catalogue or without surveillance specifications (except for infant formula and special food e.g. health supplements) in accordance with the Measures for the Administration of Food Production Licensing or the General Rules.
- According to Article 9, the electronic application materials are clarified to have the same legal effect as paper ones.
- According to Article 8, Article 10, Article 12 & Article 15, the circumstances where on-site verification would be required have been clarified in addition to applying for a permit for the first time.
- According to Article 20 & Article 28, the time limit for certain review stages have been shortened.
- Content that are incompatible with the Measures for the Administration of Food Production Licensing are deleted, such as peripheral warehouses and entrusted licensing materials.
- According to Article 29 & Article 30, there are new provisions for the termination of licenses.
- The appendix added the score principle of on-site inspection and implemented modifications to the score of three items, such as the production site.
If you would like to learn more about the newly updated China food production licensing rules or our services for health food registration in China, please contact us.