The NMPA (National Medical Products Administration) released a short introductory video about the online UDI database, soon to be implemented for the first batch of medical devices on October 1, 2020.
- The Unique Device Identifier (UDI) is the ID number of medical device
- Enabling the traceability of all medical devices
- Strengthening the product management during the enter life cycle
- Improve the efficiency of market supervision
- The UDI is a set of unique codes combined by the Device Identifier (DI) and Production Identifier (PI)
- The DI records static information related to the product
- The PI records dynamic information related to the production process
- The UDI system consists of the UDI, UID carrier and UDI database
- In October 2019, the NMPA issued the UDI requirements of the first batch of medical devices
As of September 7, 2020, a total of 98,919 medical devices and IVDs had successfully registered for the UDI code.
By Jacky Li. Contact Cisema if you would like to learn more.