China special equipment production unit responsibilities for quality and safety shall be fulfilled once the provision, currently still in draft, is finalized and implemented by the State Administration of Market Regulation (SAMR).
According to the SAMR, the accident rate was up to 14.29% in 2021 for processes such as manufacturing, repair, maintenance, installation, disassembly, etc., indicating the need to strengthen supervision through legal means. Since there is also an increase in production and use of special equipment, the Chinese regulator is wary of substandard products and potential risk hazards entering the China market, hence the provision specifically counters the lack of quality and safety control as well as addressing the previously unclear obligations of the responsible personnel within production units.
The development of the draft provision was initiated in October 2022. After four subsequent meeting sessions in November 2022, the SAMR finally released the first official draft to the public on November 25, 2022:
- There are nine chapters covering boilers, pressure vessels, gas cylinders, pressure pipes, elevators, cranes, passenger ropeways, large amusement facilities, and site vehicles.
- Special equipment production units are required to establish a management system and specific rules for daily risk prevention and control, weekly inspection, monthly work schedule.
- The main responsible person of the production unit shall listen and summarize the work report presented by the quality and safety director at least once a month for the following month’s work arrangements, or make adjustments if needed.
- According to the general principles in the draft provision, special equipment production units are:
- required to have a well-established system for quality assurance, safety management, roles and responsibilities, etc.
- required to have well-equipped personnel to take the roles and responsibilities of the director and officers for quality and safety management
- required to implement the different levels of responsibility from the main responsible person of the production unit, the quality and safety director, to the quality and safety officer.
Click here to the read the full announcement on the “Regulations on Supervision and Administration of the Implementation of Quality and Safety Subject Responsibilities by Special Equipment Manufacturers” (Draft for Comments).
If you would like to learn more about the draft provision or find out more about our certification services, please contact us.