China special equipment safety supervision regulations are undergoing review by the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR).
The “Regulations on Safety Supervision of Special Equipment” were last amended in 2009, and the key issues to be addressed in this new amendment are as follows:
- Firstly, to make corresponding adjustments to the inconsistent content of the “Law on Safety of Special Equipment of the P.R. China” to facilitate forming a unified and coordinated system of special equipment regulations.
- Secondly, to improve the provisions of the China special equipment safety responsibility system, especially the implementation of the requirements for the main responsibility to be assigned to enterprise (e.g., the main responsibility for quality and safety in special equipment production units) reflected in the provisions of the amended Regulations (please refer to this additional article).
- Thirdly, in accordance with the “Law on Safety of Special Equipment of the P.R. China,” the classification and supervision principle has been established to promote administrative licensing reform and safety supervision reform for lifts. For example, provisions have been added for lift ownership units to carry out lift renovation or repair at their own choosing, promoting a shift in their maintenance mode from on-time maintenance to on-demand maintenance.
- Fourthly, to strengthen the inspection and testing work requirements, inspection and testing institutions shall be approved, adjusting the approved hierarchy of inspection and testing institutions, and emphasizing the strengthening of the management of inspection and testing personnel.
- Fifthly, the accident prevention, investigation, and handling provisions have been improved. The specific definition of accidents is clarified. It requires a classification of accident levels, combined with the actual adjustment of the main body/authority of accident investigation and the construction of a dual prevention mechanism for risk classification and control. Hidden danger investigation and management are also incorporated into the Regulations.
In addition, it is particularly noteworthy that in the regulations of Article 23, the production unit of special equipment should be equipped with full-time safety management personnel. And a “Director of Quality” and “Quality and Safety Officer” should be appointed.
Such specific changes in the supervision regulation, combined with the latest released draft – the “Administrative Regulations for the Supervision of the Implementation of the Main Responsibility for Quality and Safety in Special Equipment Production Units” confirms that the ultimate responsibility for production entities is assigned to a specific person.
To read the full provisions on China special equipment safety supervision regulations – click here.
If you would like more information on how safety supervision requirements for Special Equipment affect your products, or to find out more about our special equipment product safety certification services please contact us.