Regulation on safety supervision of special equipment in China was implemented in 2003, and revised once in 2009. On November 30, 2022, the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) issued a new draft amendment to cover the following key items.
Highlights on special equipment safety supervision regulation
- Corresponding adjustments were made due to discrepancy between the existing regulation and the special equipment safety law that came into force in 2014.
- Improved provisions on system requirements for enterprises to implement and fulfill the responsibility for quality and safety.
- According to the special equipment safety law, the classification and supervision principles were to promote the reformation of administrative licensing and safety supervision for lifts. For instance, provisions have been added for lift ownership units to make self-decisions on carrying out lift renovation, and shifting maintenance practice from periodically to on-demand.
- Inspection and testing:
- Reinforce work requirements
- Precise positioning and adjust approval hierarchy for responsible institutions
- Strengthen the management on responsible personnel
- Improved provisions on preventing, investigating and handling accidents
- Clarification on definition of accidents
- Classification of different accident levels
According to Article 23 in the safety supervision regulation, and another recently released draft – the “Regulations on Supervision and Administration of the Implementation of Quality and Safety Responsibilities by Special Equipment Manufacturers” (Draft for Comments), special equipment production units should assign full-time safety management personnel for the roles of Director of Quality and Quality and Safety Officer to ensure the implementation of quality and safety responsibilities.
If you would like to learn more about the amended draft regulation or find out more about our certification services, please contact us.